Wednesday, August 24, 2011




Every show should start out with a banger or something to set the tone and it's tough to beat 'Boss Hoss' by THE SONICS.  I may have played 'Strychnine' before, but I believe this is the first time we've played them.  Every band reving up in the garage should really visit the Sonics catalogue at some point, and the earlier the better.  Followed that with 'Sister Ray' by THE VELVET UNDERGROUND.  This song became a favourite during late night drinks and smokes at Nicholas and Cheddle's old pad on Tecumseh in the Village usually alongside my gal Pammy, Andy and a random assortment of good people.  I just discovered 'Party Til I'm Dead' by BRAZILIAN MONEY from a tape I was sent from Mike Deane at Totally Disconnected in Edmonton.  I love this track and it reminded me of White Light, White Heat era Velvets, so of course... 'I Don't Wanna Have An Operation' by THE MYELIN SHEATHS is a track we've played before, but the actual physical 7" didn't come into my possession until the night before the show when our good buddy Mahmud Naqi, whom I mention in the sell, gave it to me.  I was floored as I love the songs, I love Hozac singles, and I loved meeting Sheaths/Moby Dicks/Etc.'s Paul Lawton at a house party the week before.  Look up Paul Lawton's Mammoth Cave Recordings if you like this track.  And then... 'the Pink Room' by DAVID LYNCH.  People forget or rarely acknowledge Lynch as a musician, but he has a pretty great catalogue of tracks at this point.  This track comes from a great scene from the underrated (and one of my favourite movies of all time) Twin Peaks 'Fire Walk With Me'.  Never had I seen a bar scene depicted so perfectly - I mean sound wise.  It's hard not to follow Lynch with DIRTY BEACHES.  Here with 'Untitled Number 9'.  I've been playing Dirty Beaches pretty much non-stop since I discovered the True Blue single and the U.S. Girls split before that.  'Badlands' is probably my fave album of the year, but I've played the album so much.  I tend to try and showcase the more obscure singles and cassettes if I can help it.  This one comes from a cassette on Night People called 'Night City'.  Check out Night People if you haven't already.  Great, great label with a lot of really great releases.  Vega fan to Vega fans, A.R.E. WEAPONS with Sound of the Apocalypse.  There's a really great documentary called 'Captured' that uses this track beautifully.  This one is actually unreleased to this point.  I found it rummaging through the internet somewhere I believe it's officially on a CD-R called 'The Wasteland Tapes' - which I want badly, so contact me if you know where I can get it.  Matt McAuley of the Weapons didn't even know.  Anyway, I like this track, and I think had they released more singles it would have made it to a B side .  I love the Weapons.  This is followed by TONETTA with 'My Bro'.  I just got my hands on the 777 album.  I kinda knew I'd love it.  I was looking for a new track to play on the show and it didn't take me long.  I think 'My Bro' is the second track, and my new favourite.  Actually I wanted to play 'Really Big Cock', but I thought I might catch some fire, and I think I like 'My Bro' better anyway.  IMPLOG 'Holland Tunnel Dive' follows.  I discovered this track a couple years ago at around 5 in the morning at my pal Brian's place.  We'd just gotten home after a great set of NXNE shows - capped off by the always entrancing Glass Candy.  We were really drunk eating grocery store sandwiches when Brian threw this on.  I loved it then and I love it even more now.  I played this in between sets on Friday night at Brennan's and it sounded great and really complemented the good feeling of the great crowd in attendance.  U.S. GIRLS Pamela + G.G. is a dedication to my new friend Nicole Markham.  I had no idea it was her birthday on Friday night.  I found out later and I wanted to dedicate this one to her as I know she's a huge fan of the entire split 12" with Slim Twig.  Nicole is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet as anyone who has met her can attest to.  BIG BLACK 'The Power of Independent Trucking' follows.  It's about time I played some Big Black.  This comes from the fabulous 'Songs About Fucking' LP.  My friend Simon bought this during one of our 'Big Scores' at Encore Records in Kitchener back in high school during a time when we were just starting to discover great music. I'll always feel indebted to Simon and his great taste. 

Hour 2 begins with DILLINGER 'Cokane in My Brain'.  Pammy loves this one and I knew she'd be in the car to work at this time.  My fondest memory of this song is playing it at my old work, Zeus.  I was working with the boss Jim, and Jim was hating the entire compilation ('Reggae Gold').  By the time this track came on he was steaming and ready to change the CD.  During this song I was at the back trying to avoid Jim.  I love how the line 'Hey Jim' seemed to be egging him on.  GZA 'The 4th Chamber' follows and as I mention on the broadcast reminds me of late night kitchen dance parties at our apartment with our good buddy Mahmud.  Mahmud is leaving for Ottawa on Saturday and we're gonna miss him so much.  But it does give us a reason to go hang out in Ottawa, so ya win some ya lose some.  I would have liked to have played some more hip hop during this show, but my playlist was already too tight for time.  The two tracks that followed were LANTERN 'Devil's Rope Revisited'  and Willie Dixon's 'I Just Wanna Make Love to You'.  I'm excited to be bringing Lantern to town.  We met Zach, Emily and Sophie in Montreal and loved them all.  They were tight as fuck on stage and super cool on to chat and have drinks with afterwards.  They're based out of Philly and I think they're on the verge of breaking loose.  2012 could be a big year for this trio.  October 31st, Halloween night at the Black Shire Pub, London will get a chance to see what the hoopla is all about.  The track that follows HOLY MOUNT 'Breeze Blows West' is the A Side of a fantastic 7" that we've played before.  I was hoping Holy Mount could come play for us in London, but it may take some time as the members are scattered due to school.  I love Stoner Metal and this song reminds me that I should seek more.  BEAT HAPPENING 'Bonfire' and 'T.V. Girl' follows.  TV Girl is for Pammy.  Most of the show is generally for Pammy, so it's probably silly to say, but Pammy is TV Girl, so... Two from a band I can't get enough of namely MAKEOUT VIDEOTAPE 'Baba Vanga' and 'Joe Buck' follow the commercial break.  Makeout Videotape's 'Ying Yang' is next to Dirty Beaches 'Badlands' my favourite album of 2011 and I like to tell anyone who will listen.  'Baba Vanga' comes from that album, 'Joe Buck' comes from an earlier EP called 'Bossa Yeye'.  I'm quickly discovering that everything MOVT's Mac Demarco has done is pretty much genius.  We've been trying to get him to come to London and play for us.  Hopefully that will happen soon.  No better way to follow a song about Joe Buck than with 'Midnight Cowboy' theme singer (not songwriter) HARRY NILSSON here with 'Gotta Get Up' from one of my favourite albums of all time 'Nilsson Schmilsson'.  We were rocking that album at the after-party at our apartment on Friday after our buddy Tim Officer pulled out the album and mentioned that it was a favourite of his.  That's what reminded me to dedicate this one to Timbo and his super cool buddy and super nice guy Dan.  

And then more 70s rock and pop from SPARKS with 'Slowboat'.  I played this one for my mom's dog Rozzy after my Mom went away to Florida a couple years ago.  Rozzy is the cutest dog and reacts to the music with back and forth angled head cocks.  Though we love so many this is one of Pammy's favourite Sparks tracks.  And new CASS McCOMBS 'The Same Thing'.  We just saw Cass McCombs in Toronto.  We both love him so much.  I can't believe he's got a second album coming out this year.  As a huge fan I feel blessed.  Two great rock tracks end off the show this week TY SEGALL 'You Make the Sun Fry' and THE MISFITS 'Last Caress'.  Ty Segall made us fans after seeing him play Wrong Bar a couple months back at NXNE.  Pammy did two stage dives during the unhinged performance.  'Last Caress' I heard twice last week.  Once at the NEEDLES//PINS and MOBY DICKS house show on a shitty stereo, and second when I played it at Brennan's in between sets.  I love this song.  There aren't many better.

No comments: